Skip to content

Text size:

Information Hub

Helpful resources to support you being an employer of a PA, having a self-employed PA or working as a PA.

What is a PA?

A PA is someone who supports someone else to live the life they want to live. They are usually employed by the person but can be self-employed and can be involved in supporting many aspects of that person’s life.

There are videos hosted by Skills for Care to give an idea of what it’s like being a personal assistant please see video below or Working as a PA-Skillsforcare


Key Resources

Shropshire Council Direct Payments website

Information and guidance about being an employer.

Information and guidance about being a personal assistant, both employed and self-employed.



Skills For Care

Skills for Care offer a range of resources making your role as an employer or PA easier to understand and to help support you with training and development.

Telephone: 0113 245 1716

Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm


For information about training for PAs and Employers see section on Training

Useful Websites

Advisory, Conciliation & Arbitration Service (ACAS)

ACAS provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law.

Telephone: 0300 123 1100
Text Relay: 18001 0300 123 1100

Age UK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin

Age UK Shropshire is a local, independent charity committed to helping older people in Shropshire to feel supported, engaged and above all love later life. They offer free expert advice, help-in-the-home services and befriending support and activities.

Phone number: 01743 233 123


Open: Monday – Friday, 10.00am – 4.00pm. Telephone assistance is available Monday – Friday, 9.00am – 4.30pm.

Adult Safeguarding

Adult Safeguarding in Shropshire

Safeguarding means protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect. Abuse can be in different forms.

If you have concerns about an Adult experiencing abuse, please get in contact.

In an emergency dial 999, but for other calls to the police please ring 101.

To report a safeguarding concern by phone ring our First Point of Contact team on 0345 678 9044 Monday to Thursday, 9am to 5pm, and Friday 9am to 4pm.

If you have urgent adult safeguarding concerns outside of these hours, please phone the Emergency Social Work Duty Team on 0345 678 9040.

Taking Part

Taking Part Is an independent service for people with health and social care needs in Shropshire. They offer advocacy, advice, social groups and easy read information

Phone number: 01743 363300



A4U is a registered charity and Disabled Persons Led Organisation providing support to empower people with disabilities of all ages, their families and carers within Shropshire. They offer an advice service and run an Autism Hub.

Phone number: 01743 539201


Parent and Carer Council (PACC)

PACC supports and empowers Shropshire parents and carers of children with a disability or additional need (up to age of 25), to enable them to be actively involved in the design and delivery of the services that they use.

Phone number: 07398120311



GOV.UK offers lots of information including guidance on ensuring someone has the right to work in the UK, the law around working hours, holiday and sick pay for staff, the minimum wage, record keeping, grievance policies and procedures and a handy holiday entitlement calculator.

Health & Safety Executive (HSE)

HSE provides templates of risk assessments to protect the health and safety of PA’s working in your home and the community.

The Pensions Regulator

Information for employers about work-based pension schemes for your employees and automatic enrolment.

Telephone: 0345 600 1011


Post: The Pensions Regulator, PO Box 16314, Birmingham, B23 3JP

You’re The Boss

Website and company that when you pay to become a member they give advice and support around being a self-employed PA

You’re the Boss – Care and Support Made Simple | Home (

National Association of Care and Support Workers

The National Association of Care and Support Workers is a care workers’ organisation that includes both employed and self-employed PAs as members. It offers advice and support regarding legal advice, discounted DBSs, counselling, eLearning etc if you sign up and pay a membership fee

The Care Workers’ Charity

The Care Workers’ Charity specifically supports care workers, including PAs.


Back To Top Of Page